More amusing pictures from in my thirties
Today I am thirty five. As I commented in Monday’s blog post about signs of ageing, getting older doesn’t particularly bother me but I feel surprised that this is now my age.
There are lots of things that I thought I’d have done by now. I’m not talking about major life events but smaller activities that just seem to have slipped by, like finally getting round to finishing Middlemarch (I’ve read the first hundred pages two or three times).
I’ve decided that this is the year I’m going to address these niggling qualms. Inspired by Catherine at Midlands Minimalist telling me about her husband’s fiftieth birthday resolution to do fifty things, I’ve set myself a quest: thirty five at thirty five.
Here, in the order that I thought of them, is my list of thirty five slightly random and entirely idiosyncratic goals that I plan to achieve before 19th July 2018:
- Read Middlemarch. See above.
- Try colonic irrigation. Because why not?
- Try craniosacral therapy. Ditto.
- Visit Paris alone.
- Visit a Greek island. Holiday already booked 🙂
- Hear Elizabeth Gilbert speak. Ticket already booked 🙂
- Watch The First Monday In May. Hardly a film classic but hey, this is my list!
- Go to St. Ives in Cornwall.
- Travel to Stockholm.
- Try African food.
- Revisit Warwick Castle for the first time since 1990.
- Swing across monkey bars. This is the most likely not to be achieved.
- Drive a sports car.
- Get a Margaret Dabbs pedicure.
- Get a photo at Land’s End. Ties in nicely with number eight!
- Visit Bristol.
- Make a Christmas cake using my grandad’s recipe.
- Learn some German.
- Go up the Shard.
- Visit the British Museum for the first time since 1997. Shocking, I know.
- See Stonehenge.
- Learn to make Florentines.
- Read a book on Korean history.
- Master a song on the guitar. Possibly Take Me Home Country Roads as this was the first song I learnt on it when I was a teenager.
- Rebuild my emergency savings pot.
- Try a pickled egg.
- Learn the proper names for clouds.
- Come off all my mental health medication.
- Visit a Japanese garden in autumn.
- Go to a fun fair.
- Learn to use a sewing machine.
- Visit the Lake District for the first time in twenty years.
- Have a day out in Leicester.
- Clear out Google Photos.
- Get a ninety minute massage.
No doubt I’ll explain more about my reasoning as I chart my success (or otherwise) across the year – but feel free to ask if you’re particularly intrigued by any of them! And I’d love to hear if you have any burning ambitions of a similar scale. Where have you always wanted to visit? What have you always wanted to learn? Is there any food that you fancy trying?
Here’s to the year ahead and the thirty five at thirty five challenge!