Who’d have guessed that on the day I told the world that I wanted to try a pickled egg, I’d also visit the Sarson’s factory & be given a vat of pickling vinegar?
I may only be 35 years and one day, but I’m already blown away by the response to the #35at35quest that I posted about yesterday.
The concept of setting a number of goals related to the year of your age has gone global, having been taken up in Australia as well as being considered by some readers nearer to my home in UK.
I’ve also received offers of help in completing the tasks, and doors have opened with others too – so here is my first update on progress:
- Read Middlemarch. I’ll use the book token received for my birthday to buy my own copy.
- Try colonic irrigation. Because why not?
- Try craniosacral therapy. Ditto.
- Visit Paris alone. The Eurostar is a birthday gift from my partner.
- Visit a Greek island. Holiday already booked 🙂
- Hear Elizabeth Gilbert speak. Ticket already booked 🙂
- Watch The First Monday In May. Hardly a film classic but hey, this is my list!
- Go to St. Ives in Cornwall. People have recommended the Minack Theatre and St Michael’s Mount while I’m down there.
- Travel to Stockholm. Family friend is moving there in August. How useful of her!
- Try African food.
- Revisit Warwick Castle for the first time since 1990.
- Swing across monkey bars. This is the most likely not to be achieved.
- Drive a sports car. Next week I’m testing an Abarth 595, although I’m not restricting my goal to this one car!
- Get a Margaret Dabbs pedicure.
- Get a photo at Land’s End. Ties in nicely with number eight!
- Visit Bristol.
- Make a Christmas cake using my grandad’s recipe.
- Learn some German.
- Go up the Shard.
- Visit the British Museum for the first time since 1997. Shocking, I know.
- See Stonehenge.
- Learn to make Florentines. A friend who is a great baker has offered to show me how.
- Read a book on Korean history.
- Master a song on the guitar. Possibly Take Me Home Country Roads as this was the first song I learnt on it when I was a teenager.
- Rebuild my emergency savings pot.
- Try a pickled egg. A friend’s husband may be able to supply the goods, &/or I could make my own using the pickling vinegar that Sarson’s kindly gave me during my birthday press trip!
- Learn the proper names for clouds.
- Come off all my mental health medication.
- Visit a Japanese garden in autumn. The family friend conveniently moving to Stockholm has bought me two tickets for this very thing!
- Go to a fun fair. There’s one in my home town this weekend!
- Learn to use a sewing machine. An IG friend has offered to teach me – and I can combine a visit to her with my trip to Bristol.
- Visit the Lake District for the first time in twenty years.
- Have a day out in Leicester.
- Clear out Google Photos. I’ve already started on this!
- Get a ninety minute massage.
No doubt I’ll explain more about my reasoning as I chart my success (or otherwise) across the year – but feel free to ask if you’re particularly intrigued by any of them! And I’d love to hear if you have any burning ambitions of a similar scale. Where have you always wanted to visit? What have you always wanted to learn? Is there any food that you fancy trying?
Here’s to the rest of the year progressing so well!
Deadline for completion: 19th July 2018