Throughout my career, I have spent time editing commercial and academic publications. Most recently, I held the post of digital editor and deputy editor on I – Global Intelligence for the CIO, a digital and print publication that provides business insight and analysis for the technology C-suite around the globe.
I’ve been the commercial editor of Director, the magazine of the Institute of Directors, and editor of The Investor, a in-print membership magazine. I’ve also been an editor for commercial clients including leading procurement specialists RS Components and luxury car manufacturer Bentley.
Prior to that, I co-led the team that launched the History of Women in the Americas journal and spent ten years as an associate editor with the European Review of History/Revue européenne d’histoire.
These roles have provided me with a wealth of experience, including:
- Oversight of the entire production process, from conception of an issue to handling the copy and design to distribution
- Working on print only, digital only and both print and digital titles
- Establishing a new publication, including the development of an international editorial board
- Being part of and managing remote and in-person teams
- Editing copy for readability and SEO purposes, including articles from non-native English speakers
- Posting to CMS platforms including WordPress and Joomla
- Generating content ideas
- Handling tight deadlines as well as long-term projects that were several years in gestation
- Liaising with a range of stakeholders such as authors, clients, project managers and print teams
- Interviewing people from a range of backgrounds, from globally-acclaimed professors to cyber-security experts, warehouse managers to insurance underwriters
- Representing the publication at international industry events
- Hosting events, including webinars and round-table discussions
- Running social media accounts
- Creating flatplans
- Managing special issues
- Double-blind peer review